Friday, May 27, 2016

Question of the day #2 - How much is too much for a model?

                               
                              The other day I noticed a "lot" of NASCAR models for almost $900.  At first, I was a little dumbfounded, but the more I looked, the more I realized it was even worse that.  The set was for 60 kits - which would equate to $15 per car.  In my experience, NASCAR kits are CHEAP - as little as $5.99.  So.. with local pickup, the cars were $15 a piece!  Now, to be fair, even though I think NASCAR is as exciting as an elderly wet t-shirt contest, the cars are pretty cool/fast and the models have quite a bid of detail.  That said, 90% of those models are still only about $8 or less.                                 Regardless, the idea of paying $15 per car, isn't really that bad.  Paying $900 at once??... is insane.  There are quite a few examples of single-car-insanity though.  Fujimi's Lamborghini Aventador is listed for $40 or more almost everywhere.  Revell's BMW 507 is usually over $50 and I've seen as high as $100.  One last example is MPC's Plymouth Volare that I've never seen for less than $50.
                             Back to the question at hand, what is too much?  For most people, too much is the amount of money over what you wanted to spend.  Others have to get the model for personal reasons like - owning/have owned the same car, collecting, or the dream car that will most likely never be in reach.
                            For me, the "too much" amount comes in around the $40 mark.  I have only once spent more than that and it was for a Mad Max Interceptor that I just had to build.  Still, as thrilled as I was to build it... it was definitely too damn expensive (and not really worth it!).  For the novice, there are WAY too many ways to ruin a model to spend more than $20 - glue on windshield, lost integral parts necessary to complete the car, or botched paint - just to name a few.  With champion builders, there is still the chance for problems, so either way, it is very tough to justify a $40 failure.

                           My final thought is that the price can be correct no matter what it is IF the person gets the car they just HAVE to have.  I would suggest the following tips --->

1.  Use a small amount of tape to hold glass in place before gluing.
2.  Use paint you have had good luck with or is at least a non-runny type (pearls and metallics are notorious.
3.  Try to be as patient as possible for glue and paint to dry.
4.  Lastly, make sure to keep track of little or extreme-important pieces (i.e. - you can use an extra muffler to fix a problem, but most taillights are unique.)


Have a costly story?  Think of something I missed?   Let me know!

                                                                                                                             okie

No comments:

Post a Comment